By Zhongming Xu
I Arrived at UNCG for two weeks. All on campus is fresh to me. I don't know what to talk about? Let me talk about buildings of UNCG.
According to my observation, buildings of UNCG have three characteristics: the color of the buildings; the height, and building materials.
About color, I have observed that only two types of colors are being used on the buildings, brown and white. Strictly speaking, only one kind of color throughout the campus, though the white building, Jackson library, is an exception. Why the Jackson Library tower building uses different color?
I have asked many people with whom I met so far, but no one could tell me why. Perhaps I have not met the person who might answer my question. In order to find the answer, I will continue to ask. I hope I will know the answer before I leave UNCG. For the question of color, I guess that, since UNCG built, the University made a clear rule. All the buildings must use one color. This reflects University tradition. It is a kind of cultural heritage. This view is supported from IPC Director, MR. Elliot As to the question why Jackson library tower is a white building, I can only think that library is the culture and learning center of the University. It must reflect the central position of the Library.
About building height: Actually, as the color of buildings, also is the same. All buildings on campus are no more than five floors in height. Jackson library is the tallest building in the campus, with nine floors. I understand the fact in the height of library tower is taller than other university buildings marking it a prominent on campus. It is more important in the position of University.
About building materials, through the observation of University project under construction, using steel structure materials are being used for internal support; wood or synthetic materials for walls, and the same color for outer-walls. So I may say, these buildings are environmental construction; all the materials can be recycled; even when building will be dismantled at some point, the building materials won't have much construction waste. In China, we currently still use concrete as main material, but environmental protection buildings already have built in e University campus of American. So the gap of between the two countries is obvious. Thus, I also think the world expo 2010 Shanghai, all exhibitions are green building. These are our ideal and goal of urban construction in future. We need to think and do a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment