It has been a while, but I thought I would use an amusing story to illustrate how photography can bring calm, serenity, and humor to your life.
Two friends, Rick and Kent, went with me to Catawba Falls Saturday morning. We hiked the 3/4 mile to the lower falls, and took some photos. Rick and I decided to try and hike straight up the mountain, to get to the upper falls. Kent was smart enough to stay at the lower falls.
On the way, I had to climb on the rocks to get a better shot of the lower falls, and of course Kent had to snap a photo of me being less than smart.

Thankfully, I didn't fall, and got a really great shot of the lower falls.

Rick went ahead of me, and a few minutes later, I heard him yell. I found him on the trail, in pain. He had slipped, and twisted his ankle.
Being the stubborn person he is, Rick proceeded to hike the rest of the way to the upper falls; groaning with every step he took. Thankfully, the upper falls were beautiful, and according to Rick, worth the pain.




On the way back down, we hit an area that is steep enough that there is a rope tied for hikers to use to climb past the lower falls. Rick's camera case does not have a shoulder harness of any kind, and I knew I couldn't carry it and climb down the rope. So, I pulled the rope up, tied the camera case to the end of the rope, gently lowered the camera as far as it would go. Then, I helped Rick get to the bottom of that section of the trail.
After we got to the bottom of that section, I untied the camera case, and started to go further down the trail. I slipped, and started to slide down the side of the mountain. I grabbed a large log that had fallen, but the camera case fell out of my hands. Thankfully, I was able to catch the camera case with my feet, and wedge it between my feet and the log that I was clinging to.
Then the thought hit me that I am hanging by a log on the side of a mountain, and I can't move, without the camera tumbling down the mountain. I had to hang there, and yell for Kent to come up and help. It took Kent a few minutes to reach us, and take the camera case, so I could get back on my feet. I started laughing at the thought of being stuck there all night, hanging from that log, and holding the camera case with my feet.
Eventually, Kent got to the camera, and I was able to help Rick get down to the less strenuous part of the trail. Rick made it to the car, we got home, and Rick's ankle is only a minor sprain.
The falls were gorgeous and peaceful, and the pictures came out well. But, it was the adventure surrounding the trip that made it truly memorable.
No comments:
Post a Comment