
Heartburn and acid reflux are among the most common chronic conditions in our population, and with the state no longer covering the cost of a very well-known prescription medication, I thought you might be in some alternative treatments.
First, let me mention that suffering from a serious case of acid reflux requires a significant diet change. If you haven’t eliminated most of the aggravating foods, such as tea, carbonated beverages, and coffee from your diet, you will find few natural remedies will work for you. Additionally, inconsistent meal choices and eating patterns can also aggravate this condition. In other words, you can naturally treat this problem, but it will require a bit of responsibility on your part.
I do have severe acid reflux problems, and have successfully treated the condition by keeping a light, but consistent diet supplemented by a few herbs. Let me tell you how I go about treating this problem.
First let me tell you of the dietary changes I have made. I switched to a low acid coffee life Folgers simply smooth. I’m way too addicted to give up my daily cup(s), so this is one of the allowances I gave myself. Next, I incorporated healthy oils, such as a good organic olive oil and organic coconut oil into my daily diet. Because I stick to a very low fat diet, none of my typical foods really protected and soothed by stomach during digestion, but these oils do a pretty good job. As long as my diet is consistent, I have found this is helpful for 60-70% of acid related problems.
Now on to herbs and other helpful digestive remedies. I will list the name of the herb (both vernacular and Latin), followed by the information. Additionally, I will post a link that will take you to a page giving you information about potential drug interactions.
Ginger (Zingiber officinalis): One of my favorite herbs, ginger is stellar at treating a broad range of digestive issues. It aids digestion, protects stomach lining, and reduces internal inflammation. Click here for more information. You can use it in a variety of forms, but I recommend just going to the grocery store and buying a fresh root. I drink a cup of tea made with fresh ginger 3 times a day, and actually keep a piece of rhizome in my office if anyone would like to stop by for a test drive. Click here for potential drug interactions.

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra): This herb contains chemicals that sooth the digestive tract, and is commonly used for this purpose in Traditional Chinese Medicine. If you’re squeamish about consuming things with an odd flavor, licorice is going to be a good herb for you. The alcohol-based extract (which I use) does not have the characteristic candy taste, it just tastes sweet. I recommend a standardized tincture for moderate use, but this herb does have a lot of drug interactions, so be sure to read this.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: I use this daily, and I honestly have no logical reason to give you as to why this works for acid reflux. I put a splash (we like these technical terms in herbalism) of the vinegar in a tall glass of cold water and sip it when I get home from work. It works, and it’s cheap. It has to be organic, which you can find at Deep Roots or Earthfare. You will want to use a straw as you drink it to protect tooth enamel, and feel free to sweeten it with honey (which is also awesome for this problem). Click here for side effects.
Activated Charcoal: If I am just having an off day, and my stomach is giving me problems that may or may not be a virus, I take two activated charcoal capsules. Charcoal, basically, is the most awesome cure-all for stomach problems. I will be featuring it in my third herbalism presentation. Basically, it gets into your digestive tract and absorbs EVERYTHING. It’s used for drug overdose, food poisoning, as well as simple stomach complaints. I keep a bottle in my purse at all times. If you would like to try it, shoot an email to me. It is cheaper to buy over the internet, but you can purchase it at Earthfare or Deep Roots. SIDE EFFECTS: As I said, this stuff absorbs everything, so if you take medication, it is going to be absorbed as well. Wait at least two hours between using life sustaining medication and this remedy. Also, do not use this long term, as it will absorb the various nutritive ingredients of your food. Think of activated charcoal like the ultimate antacid that you should use when you have a major problem
What I have mentioned above is what I use to treat my problems, and if you have any questions, please let me know. Remember I am not a healthcare professional—in case there was any doubt. We will cover a vareity of stomach issues in the upcoming lectures.
No comments:
Post a Comment