Did you know that our first campus library was 20 by 30 feet in size, and the collection was made up entirely of donations?
Do you know the name of our first librarian?
Can you guess when we first hired a reference librarian?
I have no doubt that some of you do know this information, but for those of you who do not and are interested in our library’s history, I have created a blog chronicling our past based on the articles I have found while indexing our school newspaper, The Carolinian.
http://whatwasnewsatthelibrary.blogspot.com/
The articles start in late 1919 and will be updated continuously as I work on the project. Currently, articles and advertisements are scheduled to be posted during the work week at 8:00 a.m. Not only are these articles delightfully representative of the times in which they were printed, but you will find that many of the concerns and obstacles faced by our library presently are not new developments to this institution. As we progress through the 1920s and 1930s, you will find many of the pressing issues and student opinions sound amazingly similar to those of our current generation. I hope that you will enjoy learning about the library as much as I have over the past months.
Algonquin Legends of New England by Charles Leland
4 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment